Challenges for Central Stations
Whether 3rd party or corporate owned, the central monitoring station plays a vital role in securing people, assets and sites. It is the final link in the security infrastructure, where events are analyzed in real time, and from where threat response is effectively directed and managed.
The role of the central station, and the vital function it performs, is complicated by such issues as technology, bandwidth and analyst effectiveness. Given the fragmented market for security products such as cameras, digital video recorders (DVR) and video management systems (VMS), central stations must often integrate a large number of disparate brands and technologies. In addition, video signals that are transmitted continuously consume a tremendous amount of bandwidth. The frailty of human analysts is increasingly understood as their limited capacity to monitor even a small number of video feeds, and for only a limited amount of time:
"After 12 minutes of continuous video monitoring, an operator will often miss up to 45% of onsite activity. After 22 minutes of viewing, up to 95% is overlooked."
Buyer Beware, Oct/Nov 2002
"A guard can control a single monitor just 20 minutes, before missing relevant objects."
Sandia National Lab, USA
The Limitations of Current Operational Practices
- It is a poor allocation of human resources to require that analysts monitor video feeds for extended periods of time, when they are still most likely to miss relevant and critical events.
- It is a waste of financial and infrastructure resources to continuously transmit terabytes of video data from remote sites to the central station when relevant events often occur infrequently.
Remove these limitations, and decrease your operating costs, through reduced bandwidth and increased analyst efficiency with the viasys analytics solution for video monitoring stations:
- Gather video signals from different sites and from a wide variety of vendors into the central monitoring station in a standardized way
- Add additional customers / cameras without exploding bandwidth needs
- Add additional customers / cameras without adding more analysts / guards
- Utilize your existing video management infrastructure
- Improve the quality of service, and the effectiveness of response, ensuring that no relevant events are missed
The viasys Solution, with a Compelling ROI
viasys offers a solution specifically tailored to central stations, one that uses intelligent video analytics to dramatically reduce bandwidth consumption, while simultaneously increasing the efficiency and effectiveness of human resources. In addition, it unifies all possible video sources under one standardized alarm format!
Verify these results for your own organisation: Request our "ROI Calculator" for Central Stations from your nearest viasys representative.
- Reduce monitoring costs per camera by 84%
(Handle over 10x more cameras per analyst)
- Reduce incoming bandwidth into SOC by 90%
(Transmit only images of relevant events)
The viasys SOC (Security Operations Center) is designed to unleash the full potential of video alarming analytics for central stations:
- lowest possible network bandwidth consumption
- quick and easy handling of events / alarms
- ability to handle a huge number of events efficiently
- load balancing between several operators / analysts / monitoring stations
viasys understands the business models of the monitoring industry. So we invoice our analytics to match your revenue stream – through a low daily fee per camera channel. And with our revolutionary Cloud Analytics solution, no additional hardware or investments in network infrastructure or bandwidth are needed.
viasys is also available as a classical server based solution with the ability to run hundreds of analytical channels on a single dedicated server, at the edge (installed directly onto selected camera brands) or on video encoders for analog cameras.
Cloud Video Analytics does not fit to your needs? Simply choose between all different ways to run viasys and combine freely all concepts to use the very same genuie viasys solution: